by Heather Schmitt-Gonzalez / Monday, February 8, 2016
Cream of Celery Soup with Paprika Butter inspired by The Walking Dead
I should start off by saying that there may be a few tiny spoilers in this post, so if you haven't seen the first half of season 6 yet - consider yourself warned! Okay, I have lots of fun and delicious Walking Dead inspired recipes in my head, but the funny thing is - none of them are gruesome or gory. Most of mine are storyline or character inspired. That's just the way my brain works. I'm not adverse to working a little bit of that in sometime in the future, though.
To that, Carol replies "Well I'm hoping the paprika will mask the soup's...celeriness."
How was it? Actually, it was flippin' amazing. I mean, you know how celery just tastes and smells...clean. This soup is the creamy essence of that - light, satisfying, super addictive. It's awesome on its own, but with the splatter (resembles blood splatter, right?) of paprika butter, you get a bit of heat and some smoky undertone. So. Darn. Delicious. I think Carol would approve.
- 2 ounces (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 4 cups (10-12 ounces) roughly chopped celery (stalks and leaves)
- 1 small onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 cups unsalted chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- pinch of fine salt
-Cinnamon Pecans from Kim at Cravings of a Lunatic
We are not affiliated with or sponsored by AMC or The Walking Dead. We're just big ass fans.
Michiana-based food, drink, and travel writer with a fondness for garlic, freshly baked bread, stinky cheese, single malt Scotch, and Mexican food—who believes that immersing herself in different cultures one bite at a time is the best path to enlightenment.