by Heather Schmitt-Gonzalez / Sunday, April 19, 2015
Garlicky Chard Stuffed Flank Steak #NationalGarlicDay
Originally I'd planned on doing a twist on one of my all-time favorite dishes, chicken with 40 garlic cloves, using beef brisket. Switch out the herbs, use red wine instead of white wine...but alas, I couldn't get my hands on a brisket. I should have known I'd need to order it from the butcher in advance; Texas this is not. I didn't plan ahead, so my plans changed. Staring at the butcher case, I decided to go with flank steak since I can't even remember the last time I ate (let alone made) it. But I didn't want to do the same dish since it's a dish that's better when cooked slowly...and I didn't want overcooked, chewy flank steak.
So, I had some flank steak staring me down. I also had a big, beautiful bunch of rainbow chard in my crisper. Greens and garlic are a match made in heaven, so I decided that combining all three would give me a bang-on garlicky good meal. For one flank steak (I got a good 2 pounder), I used 10 fat cloves. It was odorific! My teenager was out that evening at a sporting event, and when he got home 5 hours after it was made, he said "ooooh, I smell garlic" the minute he walked in the door. Mission accomplished.
If you don't love garlic quite as much as I do, you can definitely decrease the amount you use. This dish makes a beautiful and somewhat impressive meal to serve guests, but it's simple and quick enough to make on any given night, really.
To see more amazing options for adding garlic to your table, check out some more delicious dishes being shared by some of my blogging friends after this recipe!
- 7 large rainbow chard leaves with stems (1 large bunch)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- pinch crushed red chile flakes
- sea salt
- black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
- 1 flank steak (2 pounds, give or take)
To help you get in the mood, check out these garlicky good recipes from this year's National Garlic Day bloggers:
- Black Garlic Chocolate Cake from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Chicken with 40 cloves of garlic from My Catholic Kitchen
- Epic Garlic Bread from Shockingly Delicious
- Garlic and White Bean Hummus from Kelli's Kitchen
- Garlic Lovers Focaccia with Shallots and Sweet Corn from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Garlic-Parmesan Chicken Stuffed Shells for Two from The Spiffy Cookie
- Garlicky Chard Stuffed Flank Steak from girlichef
- Garlicky Lobster Crab Scampi from Food Lust People Love
- Garlicky Rib Eye Steak with Garlic Bruschetta from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- IPA Pickles from NY Foodgasm
- Lebanese Garlic Sauce from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Louisiana Garlic Bread from Wishes and Dishes
- Ricotta, Garlic and Mushroom Thin Crust Pizza from Simply Healthy Family
- Roasted Garlic and Parmesan Hummus from From Gate to Plate
- Roasted Garlic Cauliflower from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Roasted Garlic Gruyère Pull-Apart Bread from Big Flavors from a Tiny Kitchen
- Spicy Garlic Noodles with Pork from Healthy Delicious
More garlic infused recipes that you might enjoy:
Black Garlic Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream
Pasilla Garlic Shrimp
Pasta w/ Black Garlic, Kale and a Poached Egg
Sopa de Ajo (Garlic Soup) from the Slow Cooker
The Best Garlic Bread in the History of Ever. Really.
*cloves of garlic photo (in circular logo) via shutterstock
Michiana-based food, drink, and travel writer with a fondness for garlic, freshly baked bread, stinky cheese, single malt Scotch, and Mexican food—who believes that immersing herself in different cultures one bite at a time is the best path to enlightenment.