by Heather Schmitt-Gonzalez / Wednesday, February 11, 2015
Strawberry Chia Jam with Chia Seed Pancakes
Curry and Comfort is written by Ramona, who writes of her love for curry and American comfort food (and everything in between). Let's just say that I spent a long time perusing and hunting down red things, and I had a list so long it trailed behind me by the time I finished. Or at least it would have if it was printed out. Next I spent time slowly crossing items like Chinese Hot and Sour Soup, BLT Pizza, and Crockpot Paprika Chicken off my list.
What caused me to leave tempting food like that simmering on the backburner? Two words: chia seeds. To know me is to know my love for those little power-houses. I drink my daily chia, and am always looking for food I can sneak them into. Well, when I laid eyes on Ramona's Strawberry Chia Jam, nothing else stood a chance. I'd been meaning to try chia jam...any variety...for quite some time, but still hadn't gotten around to it. Mystery solved. Decision made.
Chia Pancakes, and couldn't get the combo out of my head, so out came my jar of chia...with breakfast soon to follow. About 2/3 of my batch of jam disappeared with the pancakes (seriously, I didn't even need syrup), the rest was judiciously slathered on buttered toast for the next couple of morning.
Here is my slightly adapted version of those lovely pancakes covered in ruby RED strawberry chia jam!
- 12 ounces fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup sugar (to taste, depending on sweetness of berries)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1-1/2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk + more as needed
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup melted butter
I'm a lifelong mystery-lover, my favorite board game is CLUE, and I'm a believer than there's no better way to get to know somebody than through food—is there any doubt that I enjoy this event!?
Today is reveal day, and this month's theme is: RED. Join me in reading about the food hunted down this month in the #bloggerCLUE member's kitchens!
- Bacon & Cheddar Savory Bread Pudding Bites by Lisa from Authentic Suburban Gourmet
- Banana Cranberry White Chocolate Muffins by Aly from Cooking in Stilettos
- Blood Orange Mojito by Anna from annaDishes
- Buffalo Roasted Chickpeas by Janet from Cupcakes to Caviar
- Cherry Almond Coconut Bars by Jean from Lemons and Anchovies
- Dark Chocolate Pomegranate Bark by Ramona from Curry and Comfort
- Garlicky Roasted Tomatoes by Azmina from Lawyer Loves Lunch
- Love Potion #9 w/ Raspberry Chambord Ice Cubes by Christy from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Madam Wong's Pizza Rolls by Kelli from Kelli's Kitchen
- Negroni by Kate from Kate's Kitchen
- Paloma Naranjada Cocktail by Stacy from Food Lust People Love
- Pomegranate-Lime Granita by Debra from Eliot's Eats
- Raspberry Amaretto Bundt Cake by Liz from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Raspberry-Strawberry Puff Pancake by Alice from A Mama, Baby and Shar-pei in the Kitchen
- Red-Hot Currant-Glazed Pork Chops by Stacy from Food Lust People Love
- Red Velvet Cupcakes by Lea Ann from Cooking on the Ranch
- Roasted Asparagus by Kim from Liv Life
- Strawberry Chia Jam w/ Chia Seed Pancakes by Heather from girlichef
- Strawberry Vanilla Scones by Christiane from Taking on Magazines
- Tomato Herb Compound Butter by Wendy from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Turkey Joes from annaDishes
Michiana-based food, drink, and travel writer with a fondness for garlic, freshly baked bread, stinky cheese, single malt Scotch, and Mexican food—who believes that immersing herself in different cultures one bite at a time is the best path to enlightenment.