by Heather Schmitt-Gonzalez / Sunday, February 22, 2015
Caramelized Grapefruit Margarita #NationalMargaritaDay
So, when I was trying to decide what kind of margarita I wanted to celebrate with, I started by looking around the kitchen. I really didn't want to brave the blindingly white outdoors. Fortunately, I had a huge pile of grapefruit just begging to be turned into that (unfrozen) concoction that helps me hang on.
Since I'd originally thought I was going to coat them in sugar and stick them under the broiler anyway, I figured I still would. A little deep caramel flavor never hurt anybody. So, brown sugar, a flame, and a few minutes later, I had some lovely grapefruit juice that was sweetened to taste like that popular breakfast treat.
You may know that I often use Licor 43 in my margaritas in place of an orange liqueur. I know, it's sacrilege to purists. But those vanilla undertones get me every time, and if I'm making something like a Vanilla-Orange Margarita, a Kiss of Light Margarita, or even some Midnight Margaritas—it fits. Like, your most well-loved pair of jeans fits. Try it, you'll see.
- 2 ruby red grapefruit, cut in half
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 fluid ounces (1/2 cup) tequila
- 2 fluid ounces (1/4 cup) Licor 43
- a dribble of freshly squeezed lime juice
- sugar or salt, for rim
- grapefruit (caramelize it, if you like) and/or lime wheel
- Blood Orange Margarita from Sidewalk Shoes
- Blood Orange Margarita from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Caramelized Grapefruit Margarita from girlichef
- Cinnamon Orange Margarita from Sweet Life
- Cool Margarita Mule from Peaceful Cooking
- Iced Coffee Margarita from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Mango Margarita from La Cocina de Leslie
- Minty Papaya Margarita with Chile de Arbol Spice from Nibbles and Feasts
- Pomelo Margaritas from Food Lust People Love
- Winter Pomelo Ginger Margarita from Muy Bueno Cookbook
- Blood Orange Margarita Jello Shots from The Spiffy Cookie
- Pink Cadillac Margarita Cupcakes from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Salted Margarita Shortbread from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Strawberry Lime Margarita Cupcakes from Wishes and Dishes
- Strawberry Lime Aide Margarita Popsicles from Simply Healthy Family
Michiana-based food, drink, and travel writer with a fondness for garlic, freshly baked bread, stinky cheese, single malt Scotch, and Mexican food—who believes that immersing herself in different cultures one bite at a time is the best path to enlightenment.