by Heather Schmitt-Gonzalez / Sunday, March 2, 2014
Blackberry Fritters #SundaySupper
Even though I don't practice either of those religions, learning the traditions and practices of any portion of a culture is important to understanding them. Respecting those traditions builds compassion, respect, and friendships. In my eyes, at least.
These days, I've run across many people who don't even know why they're celebrating Mardi Gras. To them, it's just a week-long party in New Orleans. In actuality, it's celebrated world wide. But yes, in many places it has turned into a week-long celebration culminating on the Tuesday before Lent.
Some people know the same day as Shrove Tuesday; shrove meaning "confess". Pancakes are to Shrove Tuesday what Pączki are to Fat Tuesday. Its popularity is mainly in the UK (or elsewhere from those who have moved and brought the tradition with them), and is often referred to as Pancake Tuesday. Traditionally the pancakes are not American-style fluffy pancakes, but thin crêpes. But since both use fat, eggs, and sugar, I bet either version is acceptable.
These Blackberry Fritters are a delicious and decadent way to put that fat...that sugar...those eggs...to use in honor of Fat Tuesday. But they're good any other day, too.
My typical nod to Fat Tuesday is the consumption of at least one Pączki. I'll be making a batch this year, as a matter of fact. Do you have any Fat Tuesday traditions?
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water (~110° F)
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 cups (310-345 g) bread flour
- 1/4 cup + 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 14 g (2 pkgs / 1-1/2 tablespoons) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups frozen blackberries (NOT thawed)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons bread flour
- vegetable/peanut/canola oil
- 1 pound (4-1/2 cups / 350 g) powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 cup hot water, more as needed
- 1-1/2 tablespoons blackberry or boysenberry jam
- 2 teaspoons light corn syrup (or golden syrup)
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Cocktails & Other Beverages:
- The Hurricane Cocktail Recipe from An Appealing Plan
- The French 75 from Kimchi MOM
- Sweet Potato Pie Smoothie from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Fried Oysters and Remoulade from Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Shrimp in Mustard Sauce from Noshing With The Nolands
- Mini Sweet Potato Pies from MealDiva
- Cajun Crab and Corn Beignets from Delaware Girl Eats
- Pancetta and Mushroom Arancini from Ruffles & Truffles
- Shrimp Po Boy Recipe from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chicken and Sausage Gumbo from Supper for a Steal
- Sausage & Shrimp Jambalaya from Yours And Mind Are Ours
- Vegan Pizza Waffles from Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Red Beans and Rice from Cookin' Mimi
- Baked Catfish Po'Boy from Curious Cuisiniere
- Muffaletta from Casa de Crews
- Bayou Seafood and Andouille Jambalaya from The Weekend Gourmet
- Seafood Gumbo from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Cajun Rice & Beans from Momma's Meals
- Celery Root Bisque (with Lobster) from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Louisiana Roasted Barbecue Shrimp from Food Lust People Love
- Cajun Dirty Rice Bowls from The Dinner-Mom
- New Orleans Fried Chicken from Family Foodie
- Baked Endive and Pears in Blue Cream Sauce from Shockingly Delicious
- Okra Creole from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Banana Creme Pie with Honey Whipped Cream and Pecan Brittle from The Foodie Patootie
- Chocolate Ganache Tart from Melanie Makes
- Banana Bread Pudding from Gotta Get Baked
- Delicious Saffron Baked Beignets from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- New Orleans Bread Pudding with Caramel Whiskey Sauce from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Polish Paczki from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Buttermilk Beignets from The Messy Baker
- Eggless Bread Pudding in a Jar from What Smells So Good?
- Mint Julep Bars from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Mardi Gras Cupcakes with Cinnamon Frosting from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Mini Long Johns from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Mexican Chocolate Coffee Cake from La Cocina de Leslie
- Fasnetküchle (Swabian Doughnuts) from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Cheesecake Swirl Brownies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pecan and Chocolate Pralines from Desserts Required
- Chocolate Raspberry Cake from Clarks Condensed
- Baked Coconut Beignets from Mess Makes Food
- Ravioli dolci di Carnevale from Manu's Menu
- Strawberry Paczki from Neighborfood
- Blackberry Fritters from girlichef
- Brownie Chocolate Chip Cheesecake from Magnolia Days
- Flourless Chocolate Cake in a Mug with Coconut Cream from Sue's Nutrition Buzz
- Pecan Bars from Pies and Plots
- "Skinny Tuesday" Bananas Foster Cheesecake Parfaits from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mocha Pear Cake from Happy Baking Days
- Skinny Baked Beignets from Daily Dish Recipes
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
This post contains an Amazon affiliate link.
Michiana-based food, drink, and travel writer with a fondness for garlic, freshly baked bread, stinky cheese, single malt Scotch, and Mexican food—who believes that immersing herself in different cultures one bite at a time is the best path to enlightenment.