by Heather Schmitt-Gonzalez / Sunday, January 5, 2014
Orange-Fig Jam #SundaySupper
And since our Sunday Supper theme for this week is Slowly Bringing in the New Year, I decided that now was the perfect time to veer off the path, and use my slow cooker for something that I've never used it for in the past - jam. It makes sense to make jam in a slow cooker, if you think about it. The low, steady heat prevents scorching.
Figs and oranges go together like peanut butter and chocolate. And the scent of them doing their thing in the corner of the kitchen is bound to put a smile on your face. And warm you right up if it's as cold where you are as it is where I am (it's supposed to be anywhere from -40 to -56 overnight with the wind chill). You know, as long as you don't actually set food outside.
Pull out a couple of jars and a log or two of goat cheese...some crackers, of course...and you've got yourself a crowd pleaser. Especially if there's wine involved in that mix somewhere.
Oh, p.s. - if you really want a treat, spread this on a slice of bread, top it with some slices of brie and prosciutto, and make a grilled cheese. Once it's all toasty and melted, open it up and slide some peppery baby arugula leaves in there. Oh. Yes.
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup orange liqueur
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 14 ounces dried figs, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
Whet Your Appetite
- Chicken and Wild Rice Soup from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Low-Carb Chunky Beefy Vegetable Soup from Yours And Mine Are Ours
- Beef, Wine and Mushroom Soup from Noshing With The Nolands
- Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Soup from Foxes Love Lemons
- Beef Stew from The Foodie Army Wife
- Pot Roast and Portabello Stew from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Slow Cooker Black Bean and Polenta Stew from Mama's Blissful Bites
- Turkey Stew from Magnolia Days
- San Antonio Chunky Chicken Stew from The Weekend Gourmet
- Pumpkin, Chickpea & Lentil Stew from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Slow Cooker Chickpeas from Shockingly Delicious
- Football Sunday Teriyaki Pulled Pork from Family Foodie
- Slow Cooker Apricot Jalapeno Pork Chops from Hot Momma's Kitchen Chaos
- Vegan Slow Cooker Hoppin' John from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Slow Cooker Coffee Glazed Brisket from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chipotle Honey BBQ Ribs from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Crockpot Country Style Pork Ribs from Cooking On The Ranch
- Slow Cooker Jerk Pork from Curious Cuisiniere
- Slow Cooker Beef Daube Provencal from Momma's Meals
- Crock Pot Chicken Cacciatore from The Dinner-Mom
- Chicken and Broccoli from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Tacos de Lengua from The Texan New Yorker
- Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken & Black Beans for Tacos from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Chinese Chicken from The Ninja Baker
- Slow Cooker Beef Brisket French Dip Sandwiches from Neighborfood
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
This post contains an Amazon affiliate link.
Michiana-based food, drink, and travel writer with a fondness for garlic, freshly baked bread, stinky cheese, single malt Scotch, and Mexican food—who believes that immersing herself in different cultures one bite at a time is the best path to enlightenment.