by Heather Schmitt-Gonzalez / Sunday, December 22, 2013
Who Hash aka Roast Beast Hash ...inspired by How the Grinch Stole Christmas
I love Dr. Seuss. We have pretty much every book ever written by him hanging out around the house somewhere. Even some old VHS tapes like The Lorax and How the Grinch Stole Christmas. The originals, or cartoon versions. The newer remakes are cute, too - but I love the classics.
Somewhere along the line, I bought the original How the Grinch Stole Christmas on DVD, as well. I had to; our VCR prefers eating tapes to playing them. Show of hands for anybody old enough to remember taking a VCR apart to rescue one of your favorite movies.
But also in celebration of the Grinch's heart growing not two, but THREE sizes when he discovered that Christmas came with presents or packages or bows...
This Who Hash can be made using some of that leftover roast beast, Mr. Grinch. It's the perfect breakfast or brunch for the day after the big feast.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small Russet potato, peeled & cut into 1/4" dice
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 ounces cooked roast beef, shredded or chopped
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream, optional
- seasoned salt
- black pepper
- hot sauce
This week the Sunday Supper gang is getting into the holiday spirit by bringing you a menu full of dishes that were Inspired by Holiday Movies or Music! If you know me, you know that this is a theme after my own heart. Tammi from Momma's Meals is hosting, and below is a menu that will no doubt get you into the holiday spirit.
Party Appetizers & Snacks
- Oven-Roasted Applesauce Scented with Rosemary & Vanilla inspired by the song "Christmas in the Trenches" from Shockingly Delicious
- Roasted Chestnuts inspired by the song "The Christmas Song" from Food Lust People Love
- A Popcorn Trio inspired by the song "Let it Snow" from Hot Momma's Kitchen Chaos
- Chai Tea Abominable Snow Buddies inspired by the movie "Rudolph" from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Raisin Bran Muffins for a Crowd inspired by the movie "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" from In The Kitchen With Audrey and Maurene
- Icicle Candy and Reindeer Snacks inspired by the movie "Snow" from Treats & Trinkets
- A Christmas Carol Plum Pudding inspired by the movie "A Christmas Carol" from No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Yukon Mashed Potato Cakes inspired by the movie "Rudolph" from Cookin' Mimi
- Christmas Pudding inspired by the song "Over the River and Through the Woods" from A Kitchen Hoor
- Pumpkin Pudding inspired by the movie "Nightmare Before Christmas" from Basic N Delicious
- Elf-Inspired Christmas "Grams" inspired by the movie "Elf" from MarocMama
- Sugarplums inspired by the movie "The Nutcracker" from Happy Baking Days
- Roasted Nuts inspired by the song "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire" from Take A Bite Out of Boca
Festive Main Dishes
- Maple Syrup Spaghetti inspired by the movie "Elf" from Momma's Meals
- Who Hash inspired by the movie "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" from girlichef
- Ginger Orange Glazed Cornish Hens inspired by the song "The 12 Days of Christmas" from Sue's Nutrition Buzz
- NY Hot Dog with Sabrett-style Onion Sauce inspired by the movie "Die Hard" from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Classic Caesar Salad inspired by the movie "The Santa Clause" from The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Individuals Meatloaves & Horseradish Mashed Potatoes for Mommy's Little Piggies inspired by the movie "A Christmas Story" from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Christmas Waffles inspired by the TV special "A Claymation Christmas Celebration" from Curious Cuisiniere
- Filthy Animal Pizza inspired by the movie "Home Alone" from Foxes Love Lemons
- Chicken Orzo Soup Iinspired by the song "12 Days of Christmas" from Family Foodie
- Brandied Candied Sweet Potatoes inspired by the song "Christmas Is The Time To Say ‘I Love You’" from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
Sweet Holiday Treats
- Gin and Tonic Cupcakes inspired by "The Chanukah Song" from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Chocolate Chip Shortbread Bars inspired by the movie "Love Actually" from Magnolia Days
- Gingerbread Marshmallows inspired by the song "Marshmallow World" from Jane's Adventures in
- Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Cookies inspired by the movie "Gremlins" from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- White Chocolate Peppermint Fudge inspired by the song "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" from Alida's Kitchen
- Snowball Cookies inspired by the movie "White Christmas" from The Foodie Army Wife
- Penuche Fudge inspired by the movie "Elf" from Pies and Plots
- Hot Chocolate Cookies inspired by the movie "Santa Clause" from Mess Makes Food
- South Pacific Coconut Tres Leche Cake inspired by the movie "South Pacific" from The Ninja Baker
- Cookies & Cream Fudge inspired by the movie "Elf" from The Messy Baker
- Toasted Coconut Hot Cocoa inspired by the song "Let It Snow" from Chocolate Moosey
- The Christmas Gram inspired by the movie "Elf" from An Appealing Plan
- Eggnog Hot Chocolate inspired by the movie "National Lampoons Christmas Vacation" from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Vermont Hot Cocoa inspired by the movie "White Christmas" from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Spiked Hot Chocolate Peppermint Ice Cream Floats inspired by the song "Holly Jolly Christmas " from NeighborFood
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Michiana-based food, drink, and travel writer with a fondness for garlic, freshly baked bread, stinky cheese, single malt Scotch, and Mexican food—who believes that immersing herself in different cultures one bite at a time is the best path to enlightenment.