by Heather Schmitt-Gonzalez / Sunday, October 6, 2013
Slow Cooker Dr. Pepper Shredded Chicken
This probably limits my scope in the grand scheme, since I don't have a slow cooker with a browning feature built in. But it's on my short-list, for sure. That said, I've been able to adapt most recipes to fit my "slow cooker ideal".
Take for instance a recipe for Dr. Pepper Chicken Tostadas that beckoned me from the pages of Scarletta Bakes. It was one of those times when the instant I saw it, I knew I'd be making it soon. But Meagan divides hers into two steps: cooking the chicken in the slow cooker and saucing it up on the stove top. Wasn't gonna happen. Though I stuck to her ingredients and basic formula, I worked it out so that the only dish I had to dirty, was the crock of my slow cooker. Oh yeah.
- ~3 pounds chicken breast (boneless, skinless)
- 24 fluid ounces Dr. Pepper soda (2 cans)
- 6 fluid ounces (3/4 cup) apple cider vinegar
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 6 cloves roasted garlic
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (plus ~1 tablespoon of the adobo sauce), more or less to taste
- 1 (26.46 ounce) box Pomi crushed tomatoes
- kosher or sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- tostada shells or warmed corn tortillas
- fresh cilantro
- thinly sliced red onions (or quick pickled red onions)
- Mexican crema
- crumbled Queso Fresco
Michiana-based food, drink, and travel writer with a fondness for garlic, freshly baked bread, stinky cheese, single malt Scotch, and Mexican food—who believes that immersing herself in different cultures one bite at a time is the best path to enlightenment.