by Heather Schmitt-Gonzalez / Sunday, August 18, 2013
Cheesy Chorizo Buns #TwelveLoaves
I got a good laugh out of that one. I can't give him a hard time, though. He works his butt off (literally) at swim practice twice a day. On average, that's four to five hours a day. I don't blame him for retreating to a cool, dark bedroom and some time on his iPod. It just made me laugh to think that he was mere steps away from me as I kneaded the dough...cooked the chorizo...grated the cheese...and waited for the whole shebang to rise.
They were in the oven when his inquiring (hungry) mind (stomach) forced him back into the daylight.
this video yet? As an avid Instagram
- 2-1/4 teaspoons yeast (1 packet)
- 1/4 cup lukewarm water (~110° F)
- 2 ounces (1/2 stick / 4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted & cooled to lukewarm
- 1 cup lukewarm whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour (scooped & leveled), + more as needed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 pound Mexican Chorizo, cooked & crumbled (& drained if very greasy)
- 1 cup grated Asadero cheese
- 1 cup shredded Manchego cheese
Michiana-based food, drink, and travel writer with a fondness for garlic, freshly baked bread, stinky cheese, single malt Scotch, and Mexican food—who believes that immersing herself in different cultures one bite at a time is the best path to enlightenment.