With the second list, I quickly realized that it was going to be near impossible for me to post only Irish recipes. I get ahead of myself sometimes. But even though every single post this month cannot be Irish, a good number of them can be. Or at least Irish-inspired... as in containing Irish ingredients or inspired by something Irish. Let's see how many I actually wind up sharing.
Coolea. Coolea is rich and tends towards the sweet and caramely flavors of Gouda (which makes sense since the recipe originates from an old Dutch recipe for Gouda).
This is really a very basic soufflé - no bells or whistles. But it is rich and fluffy and utterly perfect with a salad alongside and a dram of good, Irish Whiskey.
p.s... I promise you that these soufflés rose up big and beautiful and full o' Irish glory. But you try sweet talking them into standing tall until you take a picture of them. They also have that stubborn Irish temper.
Irish Cheese Soufflés
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Keywords: bake entree vegetarian cheese eggs Mothers Day St Patricks Day French Irish
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter + more for greasing ramekins
- 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 c. whole milk
- 1 c. Coolea cheese, shredded
- ¼ tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 large eggs, separated
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 400° F. Heat the milk to warm in the microwave or on the stove top. Butter the inside of four (8 oz.) ramekins and set them on a baking tray.
Place the butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat until melted, stir in the flour to form a roux. Gradually whisk in the milk until you have a creamy béchamel-style sauce.
Scatter the cheese over the top, along with the nutmeg, and whisk until combined. Very quickly (so that you don't get scrambled eggs) whisk in the egg yolks (drop into the center of the pan, as opposed to the edges and whisk like crazy), one at a time, and then remove the pan from the heat. Continue to whisk for another minute or two to help the mixture thicken and help it cool down a bit. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Pour into a medium-large bowl.
Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form (either using a whisk by hand or with a hand-mixer). Whisk one-third of them into the egg/cheese mixture. Fold half of the remaining egg whites in, followed by the remaining whites. Be careful not to over-mix, as you don't want the whites to deflate.
Divide evenly amongst the ramekins (mixture will come very close to the top - you'll have maybe ¼" of head room) and immediately slide into the preheated oven.
Bake for 25 minutes WITHOUT opening the oven door (lest your soufflés flop).
Soufflés should be served immediately. Have the rest of your meal plated and ready to go, and just slide the hot souffles in front of your guests (or yourself) as soon as they come out of the oven. They will deflate. There's no way around it. That's why you want everybody there to witness them in all their glory as soon as they come out of the oven.
The Irish cheese used in these soufflés is called Coolea (after the place it originates - Coolea Co. Cork). If you are unable to find Coolea, you can substitute Gouda. Although if you do, you can't really call it an "Irish" Cheese Soufflé... (but it will still be rich, cheesy, and delicious).
If you have trouble folding in the egg whites with a rubber spatula, try quickly, yet gently whisking them in. As long as you're not beating like crazy, your whites should still keep most of their air and body.
Powered by Recipage
- Garlic and Goat by Supper for a Steal
- Quick and Easy Homemade Cottage Cheese by The Meltaways
- Homemade Velveeta Cheese by Juanitas Cocina
- Cheesy Spinach and Artichoke Dip with Parmesan Crisps by BigBearsWife
- Irish Cheese Soufflés by girlichef
- Paneer Tikka Masala by Kimchi Mom
- Creamy Meyer Lemon Pasta with Homemade Ricotta and Broccoli by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Ricotta Croquettes by Basic N Delicious
- Cheeseburger Soup by Dinners Dishes and Desserts
- Cherry Blossom Crescents by The Ninja Baker
- Saag Paneer! Golden Roasted Ricotta In Savory Spinach Sauce by Sue's Nutrition Buzz
- Sourdough Cheese Crackers by Curious Cuisiniere
- Basil Balsamic Strawberries & Whipped Feta Grilled Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Lox and Cream Cheese Mini Omelettes by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Buffalo Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken by In The Kitchen With KP
- Baked Mozzarella Sticks by Mama's Blissful Bites
- Paneer Indian Cottage Cheese Pancake by Masala Herb
- Crepes with Strawberry Mascarpone Cream Filling by Soni's Food
- Roasted Pears with Pecorino by Happy Baking Days
- Pan-Fried Halloumi Cheese Salad by The Catholic Foodie
- Chevre Torte with Mango and Sweet Pepper Salsa by Noshing with the Nolands
- Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting by Hezzi D’s Books & Cooks
- Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Cake by Gourmet Drizzles
- Dairyfree Ice Cream Cake by Galactosemia in PDX
- KitKat Chocolate Cake by The Urban Mrs.
- Old Fashioned Caramel Cake by There and Back Again
- Peanut Butter Banana Bundt Cake with Chocolate Chips by Gotta Get Baked
- Flourless Chocolate Bean Cake by Vintage Kitchen
- Dense Chocolate Cherry Cake by What Smells So Good?
- Tequila Lime Cupcakes by Mama Mommy Mom
- Almond Polenta Cake by Shockingly Delicious
- Salmon Cakes by Family Foodie
- Banana Split Bundt Cake with Chocolate Glaze by NeighborFood
- Kit Kat Cheesecake Brownies by Chocolate Moosey
- Reese's Chocolate Peanut Butter Bundt Cake by Daily Dish Recipes
- Nutella Cheesecake Brownies by The Foodie Army Wife
- Individual Strawberry and White Chocolate Cheesecakes by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Grasshopper Cheesecake Bars by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Covered Cherry Cheesecake by Magnolia Days
- Mini Toddler Cherry Cheesecakes by In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maurene
- Mocha Cheesecake by The Lovely Pantry
- Lime Cheesecake Bites by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- No-Bake Banana Sundae Cheesecake by The Messy Baker
- Mini Raspberry Cheesecakes with White Chocolate Crusts by Cupcakes and Pearls
- Savory Shrimp Cheesecake with Herbs and Garlic by Food Lust People Love
- Cheesecake au Baileys by Baker Street
- Tiny Turtle Cheesecakes (No Bake) by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Mini Cheesecakes by Cookistry
- Chocolate Cheesecake Bites by Mom, What's For Dinner?