So just for today, let's dust off our old silver baby spoons and dig in! Are you with me?
Country Split Pea Soup w/ Bacon & Potatoes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Keywords: soup/stew split peas bacon legumes carrots American fall winter
Ingredients (serves 8-10)
- 3 Tbs. butter
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 6 large carrots, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled & smashed
- 1 lb. dried green split peas
- 2½ quarts (10 c.) chicken stock + more as needed
- 2 Tbs. dry sherry
- hot sauce, optional
- 2 cooked Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled & diced
- 1 lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled
- freshly ground pepper
- herbs to garnish (parsley/chives/thyme), optional
Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, carrots, and garlic. Saute until the veggies have begun to soften a bit, 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the split peas and the chicken stock; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until the peas are tender and soft, ~1 hour.
Remove from heat; add sherry and a few dashes of hot sauce, if using. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth (or do this carefully in batches using a blender).
Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary with salt and pepper (remember you're about to add salty bacon). Stir in the potatoes.
Ladle into warm soup bowls and divide the bacon amongst them. If you wish, scatter some fresh herbs over the whole thing and enjoy!
If you're not serving this all right away, you can either reserve the remaining cooked bacon and add it once you've reheated the soup, or you stir it into the soup and let it flavor the soup.
You can easily make this a vegetarian option by omitting the bacon (eeek!) and using vegetable stock, quick vegetable broth or simple garlic broth in place of the chicken stock.
Powered by Recipage
Do the Chicken Dance
- Chicken Tortellini & White Bean Soup at Flour On My Face
- Chicken Gnocchi at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Chicken Cheese Soup by There and Back Again
- Chicken Tortellini Soup by Country Girl In The Village
- Chicken Soup with Leeks, Onions and Fennel by Shockingly Delicious
- Family Style Tablescape featuring Chicken Tortilla Soup by An Appealing Plan
- Yucatan Chicken Lime Soup (Sopa de Lima) by The Weekend Gourmet
- Chicken Meatball, Spinach and Orzo Soup from Gourmet Drizzles
- Ground Turkey Soup at The Messy Baker
- Cheesy Chipotle Chicken Sausage Chowder by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Chick-Fil-A Chicken Noodle Soup by Family Foodie
- Chicken Vegetable Noodle Soup at Cupcakes and Pearls
- Turkey Smoked Sauage and Wild Rice Soup at Mama, Mommy, Mom
- Chili with Black Beans by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Vegetable and Beef Soup by Supper For a Steal
- Swabian Beef Spaetzle +1 Soup (Gaisburger Marsch) at Galactosemia in PDX
- Bacon Cheeseburger Soup by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Beef Pho Soup by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Frijol con Carne by MarocMama
- Pho Bo (Vietnamese Beef and Noodle Soup) by Neighborfood
- Healthy Bean and Sausage Soup by Momma’s Meals
- Louisiana Caldo by Catholic Foodie
- Soft Tofu Soup (Soondubu Jjigae) by Hip Foodie Mom
- Shrimp Miso Noodle Soup at Pescetarian Journal
- Szechuan Fish Soup by The Urban Mrs.
- New England Clam Chowder at Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Hearty Okra Shrimp Gumbo Laced with Coconut Oil by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Bacon and Shrimp Bisque at Big Bear’s Wife
- Lobster Bisque for Two by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chinese Fish Maw Soup by My Trials in The Kitchen
- Thai Curry Coconut Mussel Soup by Noshing With The Nolands
- Not-So-Mini-Strone at The Foodie Army Wife
- French Onion Soup by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Spicy Sweet Potato and Corn Soup at Magnolia Days
- Creamy Cheddar Potato Soup at Daily Dish Recipes
- Rather French Onion Soup by What Smells So Good?
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup by Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Cream of Ancho Chile Soup from La Cocina de Leslie
- Pasta e Fagoli Soup at Cravings of a Lunatic
- Miso Soup by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Vegetable Consommé with Semolina Dumplings – Grießknödel at Masala Herb
- Vegetable Medley Soup with Broccoli and Leeks at Chattering Kitchen
- Smoky Kale and Tomato Soup with Garlic Croutons by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Coconut Corn Chowder at Mangoes and Chutney
- Make Your Own (Gluten Free) Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup at The Meltaways
- Ital Carrot & Sweet Potato Soup at The Lovely Pantry
- Chunky Vegetable and Barley Soup at Curious Cuisiniere
- Corn Soup with Crispy Tortilla Strips at Ninja Baking
- Jalapeño Beer Cheese Soup by The Hand That Rocks The Ladle
- Wild Mushroom Soup at Food Lust People Love
- Creamy Carrot Soup at Cookistry
- Vermicelli Soup by Damn Delicious
- Country Split Pea Soup with Bacon and Potatoes at girlichef
- Chilled Strawberry Soup at Juanita’s Cocina
- Bread and Tomato Soup – Gazpacho Style at Vintage Kitchen Notes
I'd love to hear about some of your favorite Warming (or chilled) Soups! Feel free to leave links and/or recipes in the comments. Also, feel free to join us for our live twitter chat tonight at 7pm (Eastern) using the#SundaySupper hashtag, and check out the Sunday Supper board on Pinterest.
I am also sending this over to my friend Deb at Kahakai Kitchen, where EVERY Sunday is SOUPER!