by Heather Schmitt-Gonzalez / Thursday, January 3, 2013
Black-Eyed Pea Dip
The other way we had 'em was in a dip. A fairly unimpressive looking dip. But the taste? Oh, it was impressive. And nobody stopped scooping until the dish was scraped clean.
Now, this isn't one of those ooey-gooey-oooh-and-aaah-at-the-site-of-glorious-cheese-ribbon dips. It is a humble bean dip. Easily overlooked next to its fromagey neighbors. Just remember not to judge a book by its cover, okay?
Now hurry up and go get acquainted with this Black-Eyed Pea Dip. Get lucky even after January 1st.
- 1 (~15.5 oz.) can black-eyed peas, drained & lightly rinsed
- ½ c. (4 oz.) sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ c. (4 oz.) Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ¼ c. sour cream
- 3 Tbs. roasted salsa verde
- ~1 Tbs. hot sauce (I used Cholula Chili Garlic)
- 1 jalapeño en escabeche (pickled), sliced or chopped
- 1 Tbs. minced, dried onion
- salt, to taste
Michiana-based food, drink, and travel writer with a fondness for garlic, freshly baked bread, stinky cheese, single malt Scotch, and Mexican food—who believes that immersing herself in different cultures one bite at a time is the best path to enlightenment.