by Heather Schmitt-Gonzalez / Monday, December 3, 2012
Fudgy Cathedral Cookies
Consider yourself warned. Yes, that's right. I'm doing something that I rarely do. All desserts (or sweet things). All week long. Starting right now. If you're wondering why, well... it's because the season of sweets is upon us. Holiday baking. Cookie exchanges. Cookie trays. Tins filled with holiday cookies, candies, and chocolates. Sugar, sugar, sugar! You've probably noticed.
Now, I'm usually a last-minute-Louise. I admit it. I even gave it a go a couple of months back... you know... the whole "getting started with your holiday treats early"-thing? I made it a whole week. Hey, I consider that progress. But to make up for ultimately being a holiday baking slacker, I'm shoving a whole week's worth of treats in your face all at once. You're welcome. Uh yeah, that was so Sadie of me. And yes, I am way too old to be referencing Awkward. What evs.
I have finally found a use for those awesome(-ly disgusting) little fruit-flavored colored marshmallows! You know the ones? You throw them in your cart every couple of years or so because they're so pretty and pastel. And you've forgotten how bad they actually taste. Well, when combined with fudgy chocolate, walnuts, and coconut - they rock! That little bit of "citrus"? Good! And let me give you a tip - keep 'em in a freezer baggie...in the freezer...and pull them out only when you're ready to eat them. It keeps the marshmallow "windows" all chewy and addictive. Yes, the "cathedral" comes from the minor resemblance to stained glass windows.
- 12 oz. semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 Tbs. butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 c. miniature pastel marshmallows
- ½ c. chopped walnuts
- 1 c. flaked coconut
Welcome to Christmas Week, a multi-blogger event co-hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Jen of Juanita’s Cocina. Each day we will be celebrating a new holiday baking theme where each blogger makes a dish they love. We hope you enjoy this fabulous event. Tune in each day starting Monday December 3rd and ending Friday December 7th.
Today’s theme for Christmas Week is “Cookies and Bars”. Make sure you visit all the participating bloggers today to see what special dish they whipped up for you.
- Mice Cookies from Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic
- Biscoff Blossoms from Jen of Juanita’s Cocina
- Double Chocolate Thumbprints from Liz of That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cookie Sticks from Anurahda of Baker Street
- Snickerdoodles Snowballs from Kristen of Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
- Cranberry Pistachio Christmas Biscotti from Isabelle of Crumb
- Mint Chocolate Pudding Cookies from Erin of Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Hot Cocoa Blossoms from Erin of Spiffy Cookie
- Jam Thumbprints from Ramona of Curry and Comfort
- Fudgy Cathedral Cookies from Heather of girlichef
- Cherry White Chocolate Chunk Cookies from Cathy of A Dutch Baker’s Daughter
- Cranberry Sauce Brownies from Chung-Ah of Damn Delicious
Michiana-based food, drink, and travel writer with a fondness for garlic, freshly baked bread, stinky cheese, single malt Scotch, and Mexican food—who believes that immersing herself in different cultures one bite at a time is the best path to enlightenment.