by Heather Schmitt-Gonzalez / Sunday, August 5, 2012
Salmon en Papillote #CookforJulia #SundaySupper
Back then, I don't remember ever actually asking if my parents would make something I saw one of those cooks make. Because they probably wouldn't have. But I do remember how much I wanted to be in those kitchens enjoying the sounds and the smells. How much I wished I could try the food that they made. I didn't want to be a chef or a cook back then. I wanted to be a veterinarian. Or so I thought. Little did I realize how much that wok, those seasonings, those simple techniques, and the tall, funny, loud lady would stick in my mind so many years later.
I worked for a while selling motorhome windshields. Can I just say - NOT my dream job. Sure, it paid pretty good money (surprisingly). And I was pretty good at what I did (ummm, not a particularly impressive feat). But I couldn't stand it. But during this time, I started cooking. I mean, I was "grown-up" and all. And I had to eat. I don't remember how, but I stumbled onto Saveur magazine. And haven't given up my subscription since. I also got reacquainted with an old friend, PBS. And Julia. I had a ritual. Saturday mornings were my time to watch Mexico One Plate at a Time, America's Test Kitchen, and Baking with Julia, and the new show Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home.
Through all this, I realized what I think had been buried deep down inside somewhere. I wanted to be in the kitchen ALL THE TIME. I wanted to cook. I wanted to be a chef. I felt at home in the kitchen - I could relax, I could experiment, I could do anything! And so I went back to school. Culinary school this time.
In honor of what would be Julia's 100th birthday and the kick-off of #CookforJulia, I wanted to make MY personal favorite Julia recipe from MY personal favorite Julia book. It's simple, but it's one of the tastiest meals I've ever eaten. Bon Appétit. And thank you, Julia.
- ripe tomatoes
- freshly ground pepper
- white wine vinegar
- olive oil
- finely minced scallion
- finely minced parsley
- 1 Tbs. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 skinless salmon fillet (6-8 oz.)
- freshly ground white pepper
- ~½ c. tomato garnish
- 1 Tbs. very finely minced scallions
- freshly chopped parsley
- 1 sheet of parchment paper (20" x 15")
This #SundaySupper #CookforJulia event is being hosted by Little Ferraro Kitchen . Check out this incredible menu put together by #SundaySupper participants for this event!
- Râpée Morvandelle - Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Croissants - Cookistry
- Cheese and Bacon Quiche - Tora’s Real Food
- Bouillabaisse - The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Boeuf Bourguignon - Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
- Orecchiette Con Broccoli Di Rape and Sausages - Doggie at the Dinner Table
- Boeuf Bourguignon - Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Veal Stew with Onions and Mushrooms with Baked Cucumbers and Boiled Potatoes (Blanquette de veau a l’ancienne with concombres au buerre) - Kimchi Mom
- Salmon en Papillote - Girlichef
- Poached salmon with cucumber sauce - Katherine Martinelli
- Lobster Souffle and Deviled Chicken - Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Roasted Chicken with Julia’s Mustard Marinade - The Meltaways
- Wild Mushroom and Herb Stuffed Chicken - Mama Mommy Mom
- Puree of White Beans with Garlic and Herbs (Brandade á la Soissonaise) - Avocado Pesto
- Poulet au Porto - Family Foodie
- Hollandaise over Blanched Asparagus - The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Scalloped Potatoes with Milk, Cheese, and Garlic (Gratin Dauphinois) - Home Cooking Memories
- Ratatouille - Basic N Delicious
- French-style Country Paté - There and Back Again
- White Bean Dip with Homemade Tortilla Chips - Momma’s Meals
- Oeufs à la Diable - What Smells So Good?
- Soubise - The Weekend Gourmet
- Ratatouille - Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Cream Cheese and Lemon Flan - Juanita’s Cocina
- Strawberry Sherbert in Cooky Cups - Cravings of a Lunatic
- Creme Brulee - Wine Everyday
- Mousseline Au Chocolat - Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Peach Tarte Tatin - That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cinnamon Toast Flan - Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Dark Chocolate Crepes - Family Spice
- Crepes Fines Sucrees - Mangoes and Chutney
- Pommes Rosemarie:Apples Rosie - The Daily Dish Recipes
- Espresso Soufflé - Chocolate Moosey
- Best Ever Brownies - In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Orange-Almond Jelly Roll Cake - Mrs. Mama Hen
- Orange Spongecake Cupcakes - Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Orange Mousse with Greek Yogurt - Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Frozen Chocolate Mousse - Big Bear’s Wife
- Relishing Food and Wine; Thanks to Julia Child! - ENOFYLZ
I hope you can join us for our live Twitter chat (hashtag #SundaySupper) at 7pm PST/EST where we will chat about all things butter, wine and Julia!
Michiana-based food, drink, and travel writer with a fondness for garlic, freshly baked bread, stinky cheese, single malt Scotch, and Mexican food—who believes that immersing herself in different cultures one bite at a time is the best path to enlightenment.