by Heather Schmitt-Gonzalez / Tuesday, August 28, 2012
Chicken 'n Biscuits (Chicken Pie)
Phew. Glad to have that off my chest.
Believe me, I did NOT let the lack of peas deter me from thoroughly enjoying this big ol' pan of comfort food. And neither did anyone else.
I doubled the original recipe so that my whole family could eat dinner that night. But next time I make this...and there will be a next time...I will most likely triple the chicken mixture. I wanted a higher ratio of the creamy, rich chicken mixture against those tender biscuits.
- 3 c. all-purpose flour + more for kneading
- 2 Tbs. + 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 6 oz. (12 Tbs./1½ sticks) cold butter, cubed
- 1 c. milk
- 2 large eggs
- 4 Tbs. butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- ½ c. all-purpose flour
- 4½ c. milk
- 2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1" chunks
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- ~1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 2 c. frozen peas
IHCC theme: Out(side) of Mexico
Michiana-based food, drink, and travel writer with a fondness for garlic, freshly baked bread, stinky cheese, single malt Scotch, and Mexican food—who believes that immersing herself in different cultures one bite at a time is the best path to enlightenment.