by Heather Schmitt-Gonzalez / Wednesday, May 2, 2012
Mocha Oatmeal Muffins
My point being - I don't talk about muffins that much. Or share them. So if I do, they've got to be pretty darn good. Like these. Or these.
And now...like THESE! "These" is a funny word. Say it a few times in a row. Look at how it's spelled. Say it again. Just weird.
Chewy from the oats. With coffee undertones. And oily walnut bits. And tiny pockets of chocolate. Plus, they're not too sweet. They restore my faith in muffins as breakfast food.
- 1½ c. unbleached all-purpose flour
- ⅓ c. cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 c. packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1¼ tsp. fine sea salt
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1¼ c. rolled oats + more for sprinkling
- 4 large eggs
- 6 oz. (1½ sticks/12 Tbs.) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 c. buttermilk
- ½ c. freshly brewed strong coffee
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 c. mini semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 c. chopped walnuts
- Turbinado sugar, for sprinkling
Michiana-based food, drink, and travel writer with a fondness for garlic, freshly baked bread, stinky cheese, single malt Scotch, and Mexican food—who believes that immersing herself in different cultures one bite at a time is the best path to enlightenment.